Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sentir les fleurs....

Sometimes it takes a small thing to bring back the focus of what's important. Children have a way of doing that kind of reminding. Today I found myself doing my other career as 'La Mommy' and staying with my 6 year old who woke up this AM with a mysterious smattering of poxy-looking spots all over his back, tummy, neck, head and yes, even in his ears. Not chicken-pox we think because he seems to be absolutely normal other than the spots with no fever, a great appetite and quite pleasant temperament.  He doesn't seem to be sick--just spotty and he is acting so normal that we are not rushing him off to the doc.  We assume it's a latent reaction to a food allergen that he consumed, which is highly possible as he has a long list of foods we normally avoid and there is always a chance of a slip-up.  I do have to say that it was much easier feeding him in the US, and I am still trying to find all of the gluten, dairy, soy.....free products we easily had at home here in France.

In any case....a quiet day at home with the little poxy-boy reading books, playing legos, playing with cars, doing puzzles and word games...and I was thinking, if anyone needs a sense of purpose spend a few hours with this kid and by the end of the afternoon I was thinking that being a mom was probably all I needed to be aujourd'hui.

So nothing to report on ma vie en France for today--no amazing cuisine, no striking photography--oh, except that I did get through a pile of editing and discovered some shots I took at a local flower shop where someday I plan to drop some serious euros! But for today, the images serve as a reminder to take time to 'stop and smell the flowers' even when you can't afford to bring an armload home!









2 comments:

Karen Connors said...

Sounds like you and Leo had a lovely day Carie.
These are the days to cherish and good for you...you made it a permanent memory by writing it down. You are a great mom and a really wonderful friend.

Cat said...

Oh Karen! Don't make me cry!

It really was a good day. In the US I would have parked him in front of the TV for a few hours, at least to get some things done, but here I was more inclined to take advantage of the time we had just to hang out and do things that he enjoyed.

Miss you my friend!