It is sometimes hard to believe that I managed so long without knowing about 'le macaron'! Not to be confused with 'Macaroon' (note the long sound 'rooooon' rather than the short sound 'ron') The later is the yummy sticky coconut globs that we eat in the US (and other places) which are quite yummy too--but definitely not the same -- nonetheless the spelling and pronunciation of the two are often mixed up.
There is an obsession with these little darlings; crispy on the outside, filled with extraordinary flavored creams and jellies, with the perfect rough 'foot' at the base of each individual cookie. Once you have had them you will also be hopelessly obsessed going to great efforts and unlimited lengths to have more....and more....and more....
At first discovery, I was a tiny bit put-off by the sometimes wacky colors and even now (deeply into the obsession) Beyond the expected chocolate, pistachio, lemon or strawberry, there is often the more unusual; Hibiscus, Cardamom, and even Black Pepper... or the whimsical; Peanut Butter and Jelly, Cinnamon Banana.....I gravitate towards the more subtle natural looking colors and flavors because the taste is so amazing in either case, the shape so pleasing and the texture; crispy-chewy --- perfection!
I have not yet tried making them but I have them on my list to attempt. I have heard that they are an artisan science to get right but worth the effort. Macarons created professionally are closely critiqued on shape, texture, the amount and placement of the filling and the foot. Oooo La La! My stomach is aching and growling for some as I type!
Before I go -- one last sweet discovery I must add! For the calorie conscious or for the visual appreciators of the French Macaron -- I recently found a lovely gal in France named Beliz who creates the most adorably sweet crocheted macarons I have ever seen!
She is currently making trois for Petite Fille -- with little rattling bells inside per special request!
Belize (Fabulous Etsy Shop) is from Turkey and lives in Paris while her husband attends pastry school (bien sur!) makes macarons and other sweet things -- you must take a look!
So I leave you on this very happy and SUNNY Monday morning in Normandy with these images of yummy and adorable beauty of my current obsession -- J'adore le macaron!
Bonne semaine mes amis!




3 comments:
Love macaroons they are all yummy :)) very lucky that my husband learnt how to make them because i will definitely have hard times to find them when i will return home town.
I enjoyed a lot while reading your Blog.
Thank you very much for including my crochet macaroons to your wonderful blog.
Hey Carie- I actually made macarons for Easter brunch...it was my first time making them. Were they perfectly shaped...no, but they were perfectly delicious! (they were pink with raspberry filling) I figure we will get to enjoy the attempts at getting them just right with each batch:-) Thanks for sharing your thoughts and fun ideas. Happy Easter and Spring to the Budes!
Yum what a mouth watering and visually beautiful post!
Post a Comment