Monday, May 23, 2011

Sunday Dinner

'French Guy' and I have an on-going 'conflict' about the term "Sunday dinner"..... you see when I was growing up, after church we would return home and have our big meal of the day--in the middle of the afternoon, but called it "dinner" or "Sunday dinner"--(we did not call it lunch.)  Then in the evening in front of the Lawrence Welk show or Wonderful World of Disney... we would have a light meal; grilled cheese sandwiches, mac-n-cheese, hot dogs.....sometimes even spread out on a blanket on the floor infront of the TV--'picnic style'.....

So back to the argument, conflict, differing of opinion ... sometimes I slip-up and say 'Sunday Dinner' when I am meaning, Sunday 'lunch'.... old habits die hard.  'French Guy', although he knows exactly what I mean, never misses the chance to correct me, "It's not dinner, it's lunch!".... okay, okay.... Je sais!

Now I will take a little slack here ... as many know, lunch and dinner are a bit reversed here in France. Lunch, déjeuner is a big meal, a few hours long with starter, main, salad, cheese, desert, coffee.....and sometimes also an aperitif while everything is being prepared.  Realistically, not every lunch is like this...on a work/school day of course it is not so 'formal' but still is the main meal of the day and is prepared and eaten sometime from 12 to 2 (while all of the stores and businesses are closed for lunch).  Later in the evening; a light meal, salad, cold meats, an omelette, soup...something small, a 'petit portion'....absolutely nothing heavy or substantial before bed!  Not to say that on the weekends or vacations that the French don't have big dinners in the evening--sometimes we don't go out to a restaurant until well after 8 pm, order an aperitif, starter, etc. and eat dinner at 9ish and have desert at 10--but then the intention after that is to stay out and awake until 2 or 3 am--then you are not going to bed with a full stomach!

Finally, before I share yesterday's Sunday dinner lunch, which we had at 3pm after a morning of brocante-ing...one last choice word to throw into the mix-- 'supper'.....My mom uses the word 'supper' for dinner.  I think with the way she uses it; a meal in the evening on a weeknight is 'supper' and a more formal meal is 'dinner' which is also in the evening, but fancier (maybe?) and then also on Sunday at lunch time when lunch is not lunch but is dinner because it's Sunday and you have dinner after church and supper at night or lunch in place of dinner ... supper.

I'm sorry--but the word 'supper' (although I know it is very New-England-y to say it) makes me think of Leonardo Da Vinci......and that last one.  Enough said.  Time for a recipe!

Pork Loin with Roasted Vegetables and Creamed Sorrel

Pork Loin Roast
Shallots and Garlic
Rosemary
Olive Oil
Herbe de Provence
Salt and Pepper
Potatoes and Carrots
Parsley and Chives

Season the pork loin with olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs and crushed garlic. Let the roast sit in the fridge seasoned for 3 or 4 hours or overnight.  

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.  Wash and peel potatoes and carrots and slice thinly.  Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, chives, shallots, herbs and surround roast with vegetables, drizzle with more oil and add rosemary and fresh thyme.

Place roast and vegetables in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes and then reduce oven temperature to 375 and cook for 30 more minutes or until meat temp. is around 160 degrees.

Creamed Sorrel:
A quick word about Sorrel, which grows prolifically in the Spring in Normandy--it is somewhat like spinach or kale, but with a snappy-citrus 'bite'...my cher-father-in-law gave me about 2 pounds from his garden and this was my first go at making it!

2 pounds Sorrel, washed well, stems removed
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tbs. creme freshe (or sour cream--not 'lite')
1/4 cup diced shallots
2 cloves garlic, crushed
olive oil and 2 tbs butter
salt/pepper

Chop the cleaned Sorrel and blanch in boiling salted water for 30 seconds.  Saute to soften shallots, garlic, butter and a splash of olive oil,  add heavy cream and simmer just under a boil to combine. 


Add blanched, drained Sorrel, and gently add cream fresh--until blended.  Season to taste. Serve hot.




A lovely Spring, 'Sunday Dinner' !  --Served at lunch.
Bon Appetit - Mes Amis!

5 comments:

true blessings said...

It looks delicious~love the pictures.I will definitely try this recipe.Thank you......about "french portions" just how much smaller are they than american portions?

Samantha Vérant said...

I'm really impressed with your photography! Amazing! And, yes, the French and their food. My mec always tells me I cook too much for dinner. Meh. He eats every last bite...

Cat said...

Thanks Samantha! I like taking the pictures almost as much as I enjoy cooking! Mon mari also likes the 'large' portions--also I have to mention that when we do go back to being more American-like and have a sandwich for lunch standing in the kitchen--he is pretty cool about that too! ; )

@True Blessings--portions generally are smaller--you don't find loaded up plates here as much--but rather several small plates and courses make up a meal! At the end, I suspect it's about the same quantity of food--maybe even more!

Aidan said...

Will you make this for me? I'm starving!
aidan xo

Cat said...

Anytime Aidan! Come on up! (If you can pull yourself off your terrace and leave your pool for a few days!) Oh--and you bring the beet salad to go with it! : )

xx!