Thursday, March 15, 2012

Home ...


This may be the longest I have been absent from this blog, in a very long time!  I have been working hard ... projects keep coming up, life is buzzing and spring is coming .... maybe.  J'espere.

I did this little project a while ago; a creative and symbolic effort.  I bought these letters and decided to cover them with words and make a 'word sculpture' for the mantle in our dining room.  I thought about it ... I could have used any letters to spell any word and it could have been in English or French. I chose the word 'Home' because home has been an elusive concept and a constant lamentation since we up-rooted and re-planted ourselves here in France.

As you know, it's been harder for me than perhaps it should have been.  Call it the curse of timing.  I wasn't ready to leave 'home' and I wasn't ready to find it here.


Things have changed slowly.  There are now very few things standing in the way of happiness here ... standing in the way of true 'home'.

The word sculpture -- an English word, each letter covered in French words (a paperback book of poetry was sacrificed for the project.) is a constant visual reminder to me that finding home is completely in my control even when I am overwhelmed with the sense that leaving home was not.

We make a home out of a time and place.  It is at first only a shelter, then we fill it with things we love and soon after with people we love.  Finding it is actually not that hard after-all.  

It is right there, we just need to see it.



Happy 'spring-day' mes amis.  Thanks for waiting around these last few weeks for me to come back!  


2 comments:

chickster said...

what a lovely post, beautifully written!

Cat said...

Thanks so much for saying that! It was an easy one to put to words ... or 'word'...

: )