Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sticks and Stones ...


I have been reading a lot of writing and quotes by Anne Lamott.  I adore her ... her perspectives, her humor and her sarcasm, her truths, her faith... when I read her writing I belly-laugh, or giggle quietly and dab my eyes......


It was after reading one of her books in 1993, that I decided to write.  Not just to jot down ideas--but to write... I started then and haven't stopped. 

When describing her writing she says,

"I try to write the books I would love to come upon, that are honest, concerned with real lives, human hearts, spiritual transformation, families, secrets, wonder, craziness—and that can make me laugh. When I am reading a book like this, I feel rich and profoundly relieved to be in the presence of someone who will share the truth with me, and throw the lights on a little, and I try to write these kinds of books. Books, for me, are medicine.["


I can sit to read anything that she has written and in mere minutes my mind gets quiet.  The power of a few very well placed words.... that speak to your soul.

I feel like that for some reason, it's been a bit of a dark summer....no not dark---just grey. But we have had these gorgeous, brilliant slices of light and so many moments of warmth left behind....truly enough to get us to the next portion of brightness.


Then last week I learned of a hurtful and malicious sentiment that came from a person of the past and was shared with a current one..... words of half-truths, not shared in kindness or honesty, but for harm......mere words, plenty of power. .... well placed words that originated as rumors, now repeated with the worst intentions... by the "fifth grade bully" looking to hurt quickly and precisely..... words.....sticks and stones.....


And the mantra "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"  came to mind...... and I spent a few days trying to sort it out.  I have to admit that I even for a short time believed in the bad words said.  I was fooled even though I knew the truths. 

By the weekend it had passed, everything again in it's place.... the truth had returned and in the processing of all of it I found these words by Anne Lamott.

.....you can’t get to any of these truths by sitting in a field smiling beatifically, avoiding your anger and damage and grief. Your anger and damage and grief are the way to the truth. We don’t have much truth to express unless we have gone into those rooms and closets and woods and abysses that we were told not go in to. When we have gone in and looked around for a long while, just breathing and finally taking it in – then we will be able to speak in our own voice and to stay in the present moment. And that moment is home.”
Anne Lamott

No comments: