Monday, January 31, 2011

Comfort Food


Well as you may have guessed...Petite Fille finally arrived!  Long awaited for and with all the due drama of a little girl making a grand entrance into this world...she is here, she is amazing...and I am in-love!  

...............Bien sur!

So since then, exactly three weeks ago, I have been searching for the re-boot button somewhere in my brain that causes me to think, be inspired, and write....and as it turns out, the jump start to that was to faire la cuisine!

So yesterday--on a bone-chilling day here in Normandy, compelled by the extreme need to be cozy, creative and consume comfort food--I made a fabulous, albeit tres simple one-pot dish of lentils and duck.... so here it is!  Give it a try--Bon Appétit!

PS--please forgive the mistakes or inaccuracies--"baby-brain" is in full swing! 

__________________________

 Duck with Green Lentils


  • 2 tbs. Olive Oil
  • 1 large carrot
  • 1 rib celery
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 medium leek
  • chopped parsley
  • 4-6 duck legs or thighs
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Fresh thyme
  • 2 cups green lentils
  • 3 cups stock

Sprinkle duck legs with salt, pepper and thyme. Brown duck with one tbs. oil  in large cast iron 'dutch-oven'....until skin is evenly brown and then remove from pan and set aside.

Dice vegetables and cook all together in pot with remaining olive oil, allowing vegetables to 'sweat' but not fully cook.

Rinse and add lentils to pot and add white wine and stock and parsley.

Place duck legs in pot and cover.

Cook for 1.5 hours at 350 f. /175 c. degrees.

Serve with crusty bread.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tested and approved , testée et approuvée.
Wonderful

Rock Farmer said...

This sounds amazing! Now I just have to track down some duck legs around here...

Cat said...

Rebecca--Central Market! Or ask for them at T&C--special request. They are Canadian--and pretty good and not expensive. Get them a few days in advance because they are frozen. (normally).

The ones at Central Market are 'over-packaged'--they come in vacuum plastic and then are boxed individually--so I was never thrilled about that. Better of course if you can find a supplier that sells fresh...and local. I have confidence that if they are out there--you will find them!

Unknown said...

YUM! I've got to try this recipe. I have the exact same Le Creuset dutch oven you have. Isn't is great? Love mine!

I miss France! I lived there from 1996 to 2000 with my husband (il est francais.) Our two children were born there, one in the Rhone Valley and one near Carcassonne. We live in the US now.

So, I wanted to remind you that today is the Bernard Pivot blogfest. I hope you still want to post an entry. I'll stop by later, just in case!

Have a wonderful day!

Kittie Howard said...

WOW, congratulations! Very exciting!

Enjoyed your recipe. It's similar to how my friend Susan (who lived near Normandy for 10 years) cooks chicken...and delicious. She just kinda throws stuff in, so it's nice to have your recipe. Thanks!

I'm from NO and we're into King Cake season!! (Even if I live in Virginia now.) There are several traditions, but another is that the one who gets the baby Jesus in the cake gives the next party.

Enjoyed your blog. I'm dropping in from the blogfest and am your newest follower. Nice to meet you!

Cat said...

Thanks Nicole! I completely missed the 'deadline' for the Bernard Pivot entry! Juggling the urge to write and the "petite-fille" yesterday! Most of my efforts sit in my draft box these days! I live vicariously through other bloggers these days!

So nice to meet you and thanks for your comments! If you are ever in Basse Normandy you will have to stop by!

XX!

Cat said...

Hi Kittie! Thanks! I have my hands full--but am loving every minute of it! Suddenly there is so much less time for cooking, blogging, and other creative endeavors...but I will try to write as often as possible--gotta get all these entries out of my head and onto the screen!

Take care! Thanks for posting!
xx!