Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Miss-this/wish-list....

There she goes again--making lists. Could only mean one thing; the innate need to organize something in order to stave off insanity has triumphed once again.  This time not a 'must do' list which vary between practical and irrational, but rather one of those 'now-now-you-just-get-it-all-out-and-you-will-feel-much-better' lists.  (Actually those two concepts do over-lap on occasion.)

So here it is:

Double non-fat latte, sushi-counter sushi, Mexican food, girls night out, small talk, driving, Costco organic peanut butter, maple syrup, clumping cat litter, window screens, small talk w/a stranger, answering the phone, texting, helping out at school, running, TV, radio, martinis, the library, having friends over for dinner, the bookstore, going to a movie, ferries, the city, take out food, losing track of time...

This is not a to-do list obviously--it's a miss-this/wish -list. (just try saying that ten times fast!)

Lists naturally tally up in my head when I become overwhelmed. It's the domino effect--one thing leads to another and they could go on and on until it goes from one thing that I could easily process and work though to a long string of things that robs my normal peace of mind.


Losing track of time for example--I really do miss that. It happens when you run into someone randomly and find yourself lost in a chat and suddenly 30 minutes to an hour have passed....or when you are so involved in a project that makes time just slip away...or reading a book that you can't put down...


The 'Petite Fille'  among other things, challenges that notion right now.  She is now 5 weeks old and I find myself driven by schedules of feeds and naps. Not even one single, teensy-tiny complaint here....I love it....but it does make living on the fly--  très impossible!  Her two brothers; 7 and 12 add to that challenge--juggling their needs and schedules and might as well throw in the 'French guy'--keeping him on task makes life a bit schedule oriented....so no, no losing track of time for me.....for now.

When you find yourself in a new place after any length of time you naturally start to think about how it compares to other places; in what you have, what you can do and of course what you don't or can't have any more.  I am getting better at not fixating on these things.

I posted the list above as my status on Facebook.  One comment that came back was from a Francophile friend of mine who in turn listed everything France has to offer--which was good.  I like those reminders.

I just found the word for 'miss' in French--Manquer.  This word popped up on my web homepage as French-word-of-the-day , ironically on the same day that I was drafting this post.  A handy word I thought.  A small word with several diverse meanings;
.....absence, need, waiting, crisis, magic, default, disability, deficit, scarcity, blandness, shortage, deprivation, rarity, empty.......


So the lists will continue for a bit longer I think and until then--my attempt to use this new French word....

here goes:


J' aime la France, mais...Me manquer les choses, que j'ai l'habitude d'avoir, le personnes que je savais et les lieux, que je suis allé......




C'est tout. Bonne journée mes amis!

1 comment:

Aidan said...

That's exactly it. But you know, as time passes you miss things less and less. or should I say, you don't miss them as often. like you won't be making lists in your head but all of a sudden you'll have a shadow of thought pass through you about a certain road you used to take or a sudden urge for a food you can't pop out and buy. and eat in the car. on the way home. chic-fil-a.
Happy Wednesday...my sometimes favorite day.
a x