I have started to run again in the morning (run, ie. jog, walk, sprint, stagger...) I can't tell you how it feels to get back to it after the very long 11 month break. I really get a kick about how my body feels 'un-hindered' by the growing 'Petite-Fille'. I had been running for about 18 months when I became pregnant and abruptly stopped due to morning sickness followed by 9 months of all the other "joys"..... so in the past few months I longed to get back, obsessively needing the sanity it brings to me to get out for that hour or so in the morning; I am so much happier, healthier and so, so much nicer....
So I started a few weeks ago, after getting the green light from the doc and the same week 'Petite-Fille' settled into a nice pattern of hour long morning naps, freeing me up to get out sans-bebe. The first day I found a route that turned out to be a seriously tough two mile long incline---ouch! Gorgeous views, yes! But a really hard re-initiation into fit-world! After that the 'French-guy' suggested a beach run--which begins at the end of our road and then I can go in either direction for a few miles...and back again. The additional plus is that I really can't get lost--no matter how far I go, as long as I remember where I started and turn around. So the beach route won! That suited me well because I am a beach-addict! Take me to a beach, any day, any weather, any condition--beaches are my 'crack'..... speaking of which--my brain goes absolutely nuts, neurons firing away when I am out on a jog....is that normal? Does it happen to you? ..... I swear my mind zips faster than my feet....all over the place! I compose blog entries, think up recipes, re-decorate my house, write a novel......all while plodding down the beach. Unfortunately by the time I get home, some of it is gone, fallen out of the pockets in my brain, so unless I pack my camera, journal or one of those nifty voice recording memo-thingy's....I am out of luck to put it to good use!
Running in France is an interesting thing...although I can only speak for my experience in Normandy, I think it is safe to say that ........
French women don't jog.... I'm not French, but I am still an anomaly in my t-shirt, tights, running shoes with Ipod ear-buds firmly planted in my ears...goin' down the road. I was stopping traffic and causing confusion....the vision of woman-jogger was making farmers fall off their tractors and I am certain it wasn't because they were mesmerized by my mind-blowing feminine stamina--I think it was just the oddity element. That's why the switch to the beach-route was a good one. The beach is virtually deserted at that hour of the morning. I did however, discover some mysterious foot-prints on the second or third morning--running shoes--just slightly bigger than mine....and for a week or so after I would 'follow' these prints and look down the beach to see if I could find the imprinter....and finally, this week, I came face to face with a female jogger, tights, Ipod, headband and all--we passed, nodded a 'bonjour!' and I found myself with the words..."Wait! Vous etes Americaine!?! "...ringing in my head for the next mile....
My point is this...(Oui! There actually is one!) That I desperately need this time out there in the morning; me, the sand and the sea birds (and of course the footprints of Madame-la-jogger to follow!) to get by each day...as I seek not just the sense of belonging in this strange land of cheese...but also the need to thrive; be strong , creative and alive....and of course to be more fit is the happy side-effect. It doesn't actually matter which route I take then....the country or the beach path...as long as it's mine, takes me back to who I was before 'Petite-Fille' and before the move to France while I search for my place....and I hope to find in the end.....that no matter which route I take--all roads lead home......
3 comments:
xcellent!!
I am so with you on this...I love jogging. It is my free time, head space, the time I feel the best in the world. And I've had the same 'issues' here. There are some female joggers in my area, it's just that they stay to the marked jogging trails unlike me. And they don't wear shorts. Unlike me. But, what the hell?! I had the same thing in Ireland and when people got to know me they'd say, 'oh, we thought you must love yerself out there running in your shorts!'
keep on running.
aidan x
loved your post about jogging!;) How funny that everyone was looking at you oddly~ Jogging on the beach in France sounds like a dream!
Rachel
French Farmhouse 425
Post a Comment