Saturday, July 2, 2011

Ode to the 'Middle Guy'....


Today was the end-of-school-year celebration at my 'middle guy's' school.  He has finished the school year; the vague equivalent to first-grade year at his cute and very small school in the next town about 5 minutes from our house. Today there was a 'theatre' performance of singing and modern contemporary dance performances .... (Yeah, I know! Cool!)

The program had an international theme....yes, even a few songs in Anglais!  There was also a carnival with games and a raffle...sausages smoking on the BBQ, chips and snacks for the kiddos and aperitifs and 'Kir' for the parents....

Middle guy has only recently become 'middle guy'... since the birth of his sister, 'Petite Fille' at the beginning of this year.  Before that he enjoyed 7 solid years as my youngest...the baby of the family....the last... and now he is the middle guy and I need to Google all the concepts of "The Power of Birth Order" as described by Dr. Leman, Scientific American Magazine, Time, and Parenting magazine to sort out what is now ahead of him in life in light of being ousted from 'baby' to 'middle'...... soon .... when I have time ..... put that on the list......



Tonight I just felt compelled to write a short 'shout-out' to my sweet middle-boy.  Because today in midst of the very adorable classmates, international flags, dedicated teachers...and all of that smoky BBQ inferno in the court yard of his adorable school---I got a little bit teary.  Because.....oh, here it comes again..... My boy is amazing.  

It's not just the end of the school year....as I have said before he will repeat the year due to the language challenge... so it's not that first grade graduation feeling....it's more than that.  My kid survived....in a BIG way.  Bigger than most people realize.  Middle Guy has had his 'issues' in life so far.  My sweet boy (and yes! challenging boy!) began his life with developmental challenges.  That's all I plan to say about it at this time....where my heart is as I write this is not all about that.  It is more about that he got through a year of school, in a new place, a new country, a new culture in a new language...and he did good.....really, really good.  He managed to keep up, enough to actively participate in class, he learned some French, and he made friends and even more than that---he finished.

So here is my little tribute to this boy--who continues to teach me to 'rise-above' every single day......some pictures of our morning in celebration, a proud mommy and a bright and glowing day.

  Je t'aime mon garcon---tu as bien fait.

A bientot, mes amis.

1 comment:

Samantha Vérant said...

He's adorable! And awesome! And you should be proud. Going to school in a new country is hard. Gosh, I have problems at 8 a huit. : )