Thursday, November 17, 2011

Happiness is a decision.

It's hard to believe it was just one short week ago... it feels like months, and it feels like we were in an entirely different world for seven long days.  I wrote 'Le Detour' (previous post) to take a breather and also because at the moment of writing my heart was being ripped out with worry and devastation.  And now it is gone, done....C'est fini.

Only a very few details here mes amis.  I will not recount it now for you.  It was a short journey to Hell for me... a journey to Hell and back.  AND BACK.  Yes, I am back and everything....absolutely everything is better, better than better.

We had a horrible scare that involved our littlest enfante.  Something we had seen develop subtly for a few months that hit critical red-flag last week---we couldn't believe our eyes and I fell into a tail-spin of shock and grief. We sent out an 'SOS' message to friends and family, and I started to pray like there was no tomorrow.

God listened, God heard. God answered.  It was nothing less than that.  I give all credit --ALL to His grace.  Petite Fille improved with leaps and bounds, returning to 'normal' within five days.  Although we will still be on 'red-alert' for the future, we are back from Hell....for good.

When these things happen and you emerge from the other side, you realize that every single moment of life is golden and precious.  I can say that the change for me has been profound--I am joyful, almost giddy about life--over the top grateful for my precious little ones, the life I have, my family, and yes--my HOME.  I embrace whatever it is that comes my way with new optimism, unheard of strength and most important--hugely renewed FAITH.  If God wanted my attention--well 'Ooh la vache!' He got it!

I have been for a long time now--mucking through the discomfort of living in a new culture, missing my family in the US, missing my friends, my 'home'.... resistant to finding any of it here.  I have seen the phrase, "Happiness is a decision" a lot lately.  It is.  You go through life waiting for happiness, waiting for whatever it is that equates to contentment by your own definition....or instead of waiting you can CHOSE it.  After last week--I am all over it....not to say that there are no worries, concerns, stress in each day, but choosing to be happy and holding onto faith... is the choice I am making.  I will not spend my life waiting to win the lottery and completely not notice that I hold the winning ticket in my hand.

This has been an interesting 'detour'-- I wouldn't wish it on anyone or want to do it again, and I don't think I will.  What I learned about it has changed my life permanently...and I am blessed.  

To be continued mes amis-- mais bien sur!