Thursday, August 18, 2011

Got Coffee?

Ah. So the summer will end much like it began..... gorgeous sunny skies, cool breezes, perfect mid 70ish days and.....sledge hammers......concrete cutters.....and giant dust generating, thumping, screeching, bumping machines that I have no idea what they might be called.....

Yes! They're baaaaack!  Our beloved road-workers.....remember my affectionate posts about them at the start of the summer? They arrived in late Spring to begin work on the roads; dozing, chopping, scraping and digging massive trenches to replace the main utility lines....We received written notification of the five-week project which of course stretched over 4 months...and now they have returned to pave over the road, an estimated 4 days of work...( months?)  We are a corner house, the first on our road-- so we have the loveliness of the construction on 3 sides... (and noisy 'vacation' neighbors on the other--but that's a post for another time!) The noise is incredible...the dirt and dust clouds the air like misty fog and we are forced to close windows and shutters to try to block out both--which keeps it a balmy 80 F-some degrees in the house--when it's a cool 70 F outside....

It pretty much means that by 10 am my nerves are shot....sensory overload to the maximum, and today I am reluctantly refraining from filling up my second mug of coffee... Petite Fille is on another 'no-nap jag'.... and despite the noise (what was I thinking?!) I put her down for her morning snooze and of course that was a complete epic F-A-I-L.....despite my gentle and nurturing attempts to soothe and sedate her, rocking her in my arms and singing Moon-Moon-Moon and Twinkle,Twinkle, Little Star ... 3000 times---between clenched teeth...

So my theory is that I may have to lay off of the caffeine for awhile--until she is weaned....because this mysterious out-of-the-blue napping (and sleeping!) rebellion could possibly, maybe ... quite certainly, be related to the very strong, almost black, French roast coffee I guzzle each morning.

So today I tried it -- only one cuppa-java....Petite Fille has nursed three times since and right now .... she ... is .... sleeping .... much to my delight and .... dismay.  Because I love need love need coffee........ (okay--I am totally a junkie -- happy!?! I said it!  I --- am--- an ----addict!)........ and frankly no matter how much anyone out there tries to convince me otherwise 'decaf' just does not cut it.  I am a girl who gets 4 hours of sleep at night and I am a terrible napper...

What to do, what to do?  Is it worth the sacrifice of having only ONE precious cup of deep, murky, dark roasted liquid bliss--in exchange for a few hours of afternoon calm while the sweet babe sleeps?  Or should I continue on my 3-4 cup before 10 AM binge and spend a long day wrestling with the banshee princess?!

Thoughts? Suggestions? ...... offers of overnight babysitting while I check into a posh hotel in Paris and catch some quality shut-eye?  (A girl can dream....now only if she could sleep.....or drink many cups of coffee.....or dream of drinking many cups of coffee.......)

Ooh la la! 

1 comment:

Rock Farmer said...

Oh, I'd love to come and babysit! Mira was a no-napper, so I really do feel your pain. Singing lullabies through clenched teeth is exactly it. I don't have any advice, sadly, I'm just here to say you're not alone. And now Mira is a great sleeper - I think these no nap babes will reward us by being very mellow teens who want to sleep until 1pm each day.