Sunday, February 5, 2012

Snowy Sunday


Oh the long-awaited 'first-snow'!  Finally!  It feels like we have been waiting months for this!....  and it seemed like a longer wait due to the fact that last winter our first snow was the first week of December... so as we passed an 'un-white' Christmas and a cold but flake-less January, we had pretty much thought that all hopes for the white-stuff would have to hold off until next winter....... Until today! 



About 7" of the glorious cold-stuff!  'Les enfants' are in h-e-a-v-e-n!  Actually just 'Middle Garcon' the eight year old is....his big brother (and his little sister, too) are much less in the 'J'adore la neige' camp. 'Middle Garcon' is impervious to cold (and wet) and could stay out for hours in all type of inclement weather.  'Moi?'  I enjoy the winter-white charming part of the snow---I love how it decorates our little town, and I especially love the beach in the snow--even though it's bone chilling cold.

As excited as 'Middle Garcon' was to get out into it and make snow-angels, I was eager to get out in it and take a walk with my camera.  I went out first thing in the morning and walked down to the beach with him.  The best part was that in our small 'hood was untouched by any other foot-prints and he and I made on own path down the road and to the beach.

Later in the afternoon, while a huge pot of soup boiled away on the stove-top, I snuck out again in search of cows.  'Oui, les vaches.  Pourquoi?'............ I have this romantic notion to shoot pictures of fuzzy winter-furred sweet Normandy cows--grazing peacefully from snow-covered hay bales, steam rising from their flared nostrils---ok, I'll stop. It seemed like a cool idea at the time--but alas, no cows.  No cows, no goats, no sheep......apparently, livestock here prefer to stay warm and snug inside 'la grange'...... so after 15 minutes of walking to all the close-by fields I was losing hope of finding any four legged creature to shoot--when I met this guy......


..... or gal.  Gorgeous Big-Red.  Friendly too.  I was followed all the way down the road and back.

Tonight we are due to get hammered with even more snow-showers.  So ask me tomorrow how much I am loving the white-stuff. Especially if it keeps 'les garcons' home from school and our little family of five crowded around our tiny-fireplace..... but actually, that does kind of sounds nice..... sorta.

Bonne 'snowy' Dimanche mes amis!
Oh--and Happy Super-Bowl Sunday mes amis Americains---I think we can watch it at 2 am...but won't be.  Sleeping through a snow-storm sounds like a better idea.......

.....'Go Pats!'

3 comments:

Virginia said...

Cat, I hear you've won a little award and I wanted to skip over and have a look. Lucky me, I am treated to your gorgeous photos of la neige! Love your blog. I"ll be back soon.
V

Samantha Vérant said...

Beautiful photos! Love Big Red!!! (he wants a carrot the next time you see him...)

Cat said...

Thanks Samantha! He was a sweetie and I will bring him lots of carrots next time!

Welcome Virginia! Thanks for coming over!

xx!
Cat