Thursday, October 20, 2011

Style, style, style ...



 It has happened.  Mon amie, Aidan, at Conjugating Irregular Verbs, has awarded to me-- the infamous 'Stylish Blogger Award', aka- 'SBA'...in other words she has passed on the proverbial 'hot-potato'.... that requires me to make 7 statements about something you may not know about 'moi' and in this case; something stylish in my life (with the theme being Fall/Autumn style.....) and then when I am done, pass on the honor to bloggers that I admire in a style-y kind of way....


So here goes -- for better or for worse!

1. I am crazy for grey! I wear it, paint it, photograph it....I put grey in every corner, crack and wall--and paint everything that I can get my hands on grey---I am a force to be reckoned with when given a brush and a can of grey paint...and by the way, according to Wikipedia--there are 254 'true-greys'....I intend to use every single one of them.  I even have the most perfect grey nail-color by Yves Saint Laurent ...  definitely a fall 'must have'!

It's called 'Stormy No. 39' .....  I bought it on my third trip to France--have worn it for years since and is the only time I ever justified spending $30 on a tiny bottle of polish!

 Okay...moving on...

2. I throw a fierce party --- I love to entertain, but it is both a blessing and a curse that I cannot do it half way.....take last weekend for example--the collage of pics appears above; a simple, no big deal idea to cook paella outside on an open fire-pit....we invited a few friends with the idea that it would be casual....c-a-s-u-a-l......Maybe I always feel that Martha Stewart might just coincidentally be in the neighborhood and pop in for an aperitif--I should be ready---just in case, yes?

3.  Oh dear---three...not even half way there....I am thinking...I am thinking......style, style, style.... I spent most of last year pregnant and just as I was starting to 'blossom' we moved to France---talk about a total style-identity crisis--- I was able to manage with a few favorite items from H&M (here in France too!  Hooray!)  So now NOT pregnant (I can say that for sure) and unpacking my NOT-pregnant fall wardrobe this afternoon--sent me into a little style-identity-personal-crisis----"Do I still want to wear that?"  I have no idea what my body is doing--or my weight for that matter...so I am still trying to figure it all out.  There will be no style awards in this category for me I'm afraid.

4....I'm gonna to have to condense this--who knew I could write so much about style?!  (Shhh! I heard that French Guy!)  Hair--so last year I got my hair cut (bob-style) in March--we moved in June--and I went without a hair-cut (or style for that matter) for ONE YEAR!  I was so scared to try a new stylist, but when I finally reconciled with the fact that I would not be catching the Concord to have an appointment with my tried and true favorite stylist on the planet in Seattle--ever....I finally went in for a trim in Trouville about 10 minutes from home---and now my hair is long--after not having it cut for a year--and I kinda like it.  Not sure if it is 'age-appropriate'---can a 40-something wear a pony-tail?  Not sure. But I like it.
5.  Fall style....ah!  Scarves!  (Les escharpe!)  I adore scarves---another thing I have worn religiously for about 20 years---French women wear them like no other culture can!  I think there is a school somewhere for 'scarf-styling'......

6. Phew! Almost there---boots--I also have a thing for boots!  In my 'collection' I have two pairs of classic 'Frye' boots one grey (bien sur!) and one black--they are amazing!  I intend to bequeath them to 'Petite Fille'...she will adore them too I am sure!  Oh and here is the next pair of boots that I am hinting for, for my birthday....hint, hint.....kinda equestrian meets 'town and country' don't you think?

7.  At last--lucky number 7.  It's my birthday on Sunday and getting one year older always causes me to to re-think my style--not because I am eager to re-invent myself with each passing year, but rather--my lifelong style-goal has been to finally, finally be comfortable in my own skin---be it older, heavier, thinner, short hair, long hair.....my ultimate style goal is that--just to be content, strong, and comfortable in my skin---I am still working on that--maybe by this birthday....I think I am getting closer....I'll let you know.

Thanks again dear Aidan---I do appreciate the award and hope I have done the topic justice!  Now to pass it on to more deserving style godesses than I........

  • Rachel at French Farmhouse 425 (who has the most beautifully styled haven and the grace to share it...)
  • Samantha at Seven Letters--(I know you must have gotten this before so dust of the mantle and make room for another!)
Tag girls!  You are it!

4 comments:

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

Wow!! thank so much my friend! xo

Samantha Vérant said...

Thanks! And I'm ready for a party at your house...where we'll all wear grey!

Cat said...

Rachel--can't wait to see your response--you live surrounded by gorgeous shabby-French style!

Samantha--just name a date and I will throw the party! And you can borrow my YSL nail-polish to match your out-fit!

xx! Cat

Aidan said...

Cat,
I too love grey. Am wearing my gray tank top with gray sweater and probably gray underwear (they're meant to be).
And boots! Yay for boots...and scarves too. And parties. I'm coming over.
I love your stylish style post and feel justified in appointing you with it.
bisous et bonne anniversaire,
aidan
ps i wear a ponytail too.