Monday, June 20, 2011

365 French Days

 This past weekend, in the blur of crazy stormy sunny stormy, no sunny, sunny, or was it stormy----okay--stunny---crazy Normandy weather....and in the blur of Father's Day planning and house cleaning and painting things grey.... ( a table, and two cabinets)...we passed our ONE YEAR anniversary of arriving in France!

Somehow this milestone date brought with it some bloggers-blank (insert cringe)...maybe I felt that too much was riding on some thoughtful reflections, witty remembrances or poetic musings--pressure, pressure, pressure....and instead...I got nothin'.

Except for one big, prolonged, full lung-ed......SIGH.  I could have written a long entry about all I have learned this past year, how much I have changed, what I love about living here, and what I still miss.  But all of those things manage to seep into my daily thoughts and narratives then and still now...and all of those things remain part of the unfinished chapter of 'ma nouvelle vie en France'....

So I will just say this for now...and I will forgive myself of the a-fore mentioned pressure......a year ago I traded the Space Needle for the Eiffel Tower -- Pacific Northwest girl to become Normandy girl..... and so far it's been the best, hardest, most interesting, sweetest, saddest, happiest, loneliest, trying, triumphant, meaningful and life altering time of my life.

There.  I think that says it all.....and of course (bien sur!) to be continued.........
A bientot mes amis!


6 comments:

kimberly said...

Oh sweet friend - I can feel all of that emotion from here~ Wouldn't it be simply perfect if you could have *both* places at once? Alas, if you have to pick one, then France it is. I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed living vicariously through you - and look forward to the day when I have the opportunity to visit~
Have a lovely week mon amie,
xx

GGfrenchteacher said...

Funny enough I arrived on your blog through another blog. I was born in Normandy,I lived in UK for 10 years before immigrating to Vancouver. So I recognized the Pike market;) it;s probably a cliche for you but Pike Market is the market that I love the most (with Granville market in Vancouver) a "souvenir" of the french market from my childhood.
My family still live in Normanday near Caen. I see your pictures and nostalgia set in.. thank you for beautiful photographs that reminds me of "home" but home is where we are I believe and Home is now the pacific northwest coast...
au plaisir de vous lire
GG

Anonymous said...

A year already? Incredible! Of course I miss you like it's been three... but whoosh! wow. congratulations-- a year marvelously spent!

Ange said...

Hey there possum. YOu need a holiday in Toulouse! I know that feeling and although I came of my own accord, I've stayed here so long because I married a Frenchie.
PS - REmember - the great thing about France are the vide-greniers and the shopping, but mostly, being so close to the rest of Europe.
I say we plan a shoe buying session in Milano one day. Let's take an empty case just for purchases :)
PPS - I only bought 3 pairs in London because I went over with 3 (BIG MISTAKE) and had to bring back pressies as well…All in a the only carry on bag that Easyjet allows!! Had to be sneaky to get my handbag home ;-)

Cat said...

Oh Ange! I do need a holiday!! Especially if it entails going SOUTH! I stand corrected, if you actually brought THREE pairs to London and bought THREE more--that's a SIX pair weekend! You are worthy and you are a shoe maven! Yet one more thing we have in common--and Milano?? Sign me up baby!

Cat said...

Thanks GG! You get where I am coming from then..or came from...Moves are hard, starting a new life is even harder! Thanks for your note!

.....and Ms. Charmante----I know you are coming here one day because if you don't I will relentlessly bother you about it until you beg,beg,beg me to stop! and are calling me from CDG to pick-you-up!!! And that goes for you too Aim--only much more worse--I will torture you with promises of pain au chocolate---every day, every night--until you come. xx!