Yesterday was a rare Sunday morning when I didn't have a brocante to go to, it was windy and rainy and I woke up thinking that scones would be a perfect stay-in breakfast.
Last week had been a very exhausting, 'on the brink' kinda week. Several things
.....and so with the rains arrival after many many weeks of constant sunshine, something warm and comfy to eat was much needed.
So after a few cups of java--because my brain needed some juice to get going (nights are not very night-like; we are in limbo with 'Petite Filles' sleep schedule and my mind has been going zing-zang-zoom instead of Zzzzzzz! more often than not.) I reached for my 'Big Book of Breakfast' cook book to get the basics for scones so I could change, manipulate, mix-up, alter, refine, and re-create my own version of the kind of scones I craved. So here goes:
Whole Grain, Banana, Oatmeal, Raisin Scones with Maple Glaze.
1/2 cup Cold Butter chopped in tiny pieces
2 cups Whole Grain Flour**
1 tbs. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup Un-refined (raw) Sugar
1/2 cup Oats
1/2 cup Raisins
1 Smashed Banana
1 Large Egg
1/2 cup Light Cream, 1/2 and 1/2 or Whole Milk
1 tbs. Maple Syrup
3 tbs. Powdered Sugar
** The flour mix I used, called Albona's 'Pain Multicereales' is for making bread, and is found in France; it is a blend of wheat, barley, rye and oat flour and has flax seeds in it. It also has salt added so if you use it. omit the salt in this recipe.
Otherwise make your own blend of whole grain flour; wheat, buckwheat or oat flour mixed 50/50 with white flour would be about right.
Mix all of the dry ingredients and cut in the butter until mixture is grainy. Mix in the oats and raisins.
In a separate bowl, beat egg with milk and stir in smashed banana. Add this to the dry ingredients and combine until uniformly mixed. You can get fancy, but I like to dump the glob on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, pat it into a round mound, sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sugar and pop it into the oven. Bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes. After it cools you can cut it into slices.
To make the maple glaze; mix the powdered sugar with the maple syrup and drizzle on slightly cooled scone. These scones are not-too-sweet and are pretty healthy--they are also quite filling! I recommend at least 4 cups of very strong French roast coffee with them, maybe more....but that's just me!
Enjoy!



1 comment:
Sorry - stuck on "deportation"...
However, the scones look divine and I may have to sneak some of that flour back with me the next time I am there! Delish!
I hope your week is better this time around my friend~
xx
Post a Comment