Sunday, June 5, 2011

More 'Gigs'......

"We are sorry, but your memory card is too full to perform this function".

That is the message I got after trying to snap a few precious shots of our evening out last night with my Blackberry.....because I was sans camera!  Full?  Could it be?  Wow.........And then even at home, on my laptop--my ancient old p-i-n-k Dell Inspiron 1525---what a coincidence! I have only 1.36 GB of 135 GB remaining......

Y-I-K-E-S.   That could be bad, really bad.----at any moment!...............hopefully not now.

Where is all of that memory going?!  I have over 3000 photos.....from 2011.  I still have files from 2006--but I still access images all of the time so I am having trouble sorting and deleting them.  I have tried to clean-up my hard drive--I have uninstalled all of the 'gaming' programs and downloads that mysteriously appear each time Oldest Garcon is left unattended and commandeers my lap top for the afternoon.

The thing is, I have recently gone through my computer in attempts to exile some unused folders and applications to never-never land....but what I am finding is that documents and yes even 100's of pictures moved or deleted does not really help with the overall  engorged hard-drive situation....and truthfully I am not really sure what does.  (Response? Techies out there?)

In the beginning it was hard to do any cleaning at all--I was in the big world of denial....but as things get slower and stickier and cloggy-er (I made that last one up).....I am compelled to face-up to a very overwhelmed system....with declining space for memory---or memories.... or anything.  But that is just it---deleting memories--that's what it feels like....hence the resistance.

As I attempt to clean-out--I get stuck reading and looking at things---100's of GBs, millions of MB's of my LIFE...and obviously my life---before now.  Which brings me back to 'ma vie en France' and that little bit of me huge part of me, that just will not let go....even of the insignificant things.  Beyond the thousands of pictures, I find documents written to school officials in hopes of persuading them to implement a new special education program, invoices from my previous life as personal organizer/interior designer....PowerPoint presentations, music files, and mini-series downloaded when we first arrived in France to satisfy my fix for American-in-English TV shows...all of this stuff jamming up my once fluid and fast little lap-top.

Maybe part of me wants this baby to terminally crash.  'French Guy' has suggested that I might be rewarded for shooting my belle-nieces wedding in September with a new laptop.....or a new lens....hmmm--tough to chose.  But realistically as we live on a shoe-string we can't afford either and I am a big believer in taking care of what you already have.

Oh what to do!?  C'est une enorme probleme! I have no memory for the memories yet to come!

Take last night for example.  We, our petite famille of five, ventured out to have dinner (a rarity, but it was high time for some quality family adventures) and found a very fabulous Sushi place! (Yes! You read that right--S-U-S-H-I  restaurant .....yes, we are still in France).  All-you-can-eat--sushi no less!  Crazy! and good!  (Middle Garcon happily proclaimed "I am so excited to have good ol' American sushi!")




After dinner we took a walk along the board walk in Trouville along the beach and Middle Garcon convinced us to let him go on one of the carnival type rides that are a permanent fixture along the beach in season.  So as I hadn't brought my camera--I reached for the Blackberry--snapped a few pics.....and then......the message----no more memory!

This night to remember---had no more memory space....and in light of my other 'memory issues' I think this may have been a subtle hint from the 'Memory-Gods' as it were......and this is it--

 Time to make room for more memories!  

Do you think?  I do.....and making room turns out to require come cleaning out and re-organizing at the very least.  Looks like I have no other options.......the time has come.  I am only thankful that I had enough to write this blog entry....I hope.......we shall see.....nothin' is smoking here yet....I have yet to hit the 'publish-post' button......maybe I shouldn't...........oh dear..........here's hoping---------------------------------

A bientot, mes amis!

No comments: