Decking the halls is taking longer than expected. I wish it was just as simple as opening a few bins and putting things out, buying a tree, stringing some lights and then vacuuming up a few stray needles. But instead so far it's gone more like this---take a few things out--put them back away---start a few crafty projects---finish half of what needs to be done----l--o--n--g---p--a--u--s--e----and then after cleaning up the kitchen, doing a bit of laundry, playing with 'Petite Fille' going to French class.....I resume and do a bit more decorating---and here I am, about a week later with only a little to show for all that effort. Don't get me wrong--I am enjoying it, but wow, I don't remember when it ever took so long.
So today the little tree came into the house, it's really small but 'live' so we can plant it later---somewhere---maybe at the neighbors house, or some night after dark we could sneak into a local park and plant it there.... we don't really have a yard, or a place for a tree.....it was the right size (to go on a table top safe from the curious almost 1 year old) and not too 'Charlie Brown-ish', it actually has a cute shape-and small enough not to need a load of balls or stuff on it, so I am happy.
Aside from the slow decorating (which I am not stressing about at all) there is a strange 'ease' to the holiday season so far. Today I actually played hooky from my class to stay at home to decorate, do some holiday shopping on Etsy, and make cookies while 'Middle Garcon' convinced me to sit for a while and watch his current favorite movie.... We, so far, are not overbooked with plans for the holidays, have most of our gift lists for 'les enfants' sorted out, haven't had snow yet, and I have to say---Life is good. France continues to grow on me. Again---less stress this holiday season than last, on many levels, but there is also this sweet calm in our home--which is feeling more like 'home' each day.
I wish there was a way to wrap up some of this rare peacefulness and share it with all of you. It's good to be in a good place and be able to enjoy what you have, and not become overly focused on what you think you want....during a season that forcefully promotes 'want' over 'HAVE'......
I have everything on my list already--to be perfectly honest. Now if I could only just finish putting out the decorations...or not...I know it will get done, sometime. It's all about priorities--and I think I am doing just fine.
Hope you are having a 'bonne semaine' too mes amis!
