Wednesday, December 21, 2011

'Bleu' Christmas


I woke up today, determined to re-board the 'Christmas Spirit Train'.....how did I do?  Good enough...and tomorrow will be even better.  It was a hard few days between the news of loss of a friend and the tragedy that is around the situation and then the absurd debacle of Chronopost-France sending the parcel of Christmas gifts sent so generously and thoughtfully from my sister and her husband in Boston---BACK to them in a confusing, extortive, and downright evil GRINCH-like act of unkindness.....

So to top that mood--I forced the family to watch 'A Year Without a Santa Claus' last night--because I was deeply feeling like blue-Christmas girl......Les garcons enjoyed it, I think.  Middle Garcon who is 8 is right on the brink of 'believe' or 'don't believe' thing....and he believes enough that the thought of no-Santa makes him a bit anxious.  In fact--I have never heard of such power as that one simple word can hold---C-O-A-L....  Just the mere mention and he straightens up and apologies and kind words flow magically from his mouth.... for a few minutes...okay maybe an hour.

I am done being 'bleu'...although let it not be said that holidays are not really, really hard on the ex-pat.  Read my post from last Christmas to see--I was so homesick in 1000 different ways.  This year....better.  Still miss my family (mais bien sur!)  It is now Winter and that means there will be no visits at least for 3 or 4 more months--Normandy is downright nasty from now until late Spring--much like the PNW.  There is no joy in being packed into our little home with guests while the winds gale and the rain (sleet or hail) pounds outside.  So right now, not having a visit from Mom and Dad or loved ones on the calendar makes the distance feel greater--if the holiday didn't already enough.

Tomorrow it's back to the kitchen.  I am in the midst of finishing up some food-gift baskets.  A lot of work but I a would be lying if I said I didn't love doing it!  Being in the kitchen, creating---is my therapy.  Cookies baking in the oven heals the soul. I think forcing the family to watch a few more 'heirloom' Christmas specials will work wonders too!

We shall see.  You hang in there too!  We have almost made it to Christmas 2011--it's going to be wonderful!